How to Buy a Car at Auction in Texas
How to Buy a Car at Auction in Texas
What is an Auto Auction?
Finding a used car that meets your needs and won’t break down as soon as you leave the lot is often fraught with anxiety and indecision.
An auto auction, like Public Auction Auctions in Kyle, Texas, has a vehicle for every budget and need, from family minivans, to sports cars, to the occasional boat, camper, and motorcycle.
There is no reason to be scared of a public auto auction once you know how it works.
Buying cars at auctions works any standard auction; bidders compete for a vehicle until one bidder remains.
Public Auto Auctions is exactly that, open to the public. Some auctions are dealer-only auctions, which means that only licensed dealers, dismantlers, out-of-state automotive businesses, and vehicle exporters may bid.
We’ve made it easy to understand our auction schedule so that you can plan ahead. We have weekly online auctions. Check out our auction calendar!
Please note: we are ONLINE ONLY.
Where do Auction Cars Come From?
Many auctions, like Public Auto Auctions, get their vehicles from charitable donations. Sometimes a dealer will sell a car or truck to an auction if it sat unsold for too long. Expect to see trade-ins too.
We also have fleet vehicles here, retired as rental cars because of age or undesirable mileage. Who wants to rent a car with 200,000 miles?
Wherever they come from, expect to get a great deal on a used car at an auction. Check out our inventory of vehicles.
How Does an Auto Auction Work?
- Browse listed cars, trucks, and boats. Choose the vehicles you’re interested in and rank them.
- Attend “preview days”. This allows you to inspect the car you’re interested in for yourself. Many auctions don’t allow test drives, so if you don’t know much about cars, bring a mechanic along to help spot major problems.
- Preview days at Public Auto Auctions are Fridays from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- Understand what you need in order to bid and win. We accept cash, U.S. Certified Bank Check (licensed dealers only), and all major credit cards. You will also need a valid U.S. license, passport, or U.S. immigration ID, and be 18-years or older.
- To bid online, you must first sign up on our website, enter your information, upload the required documents, credit card information, and select a bidder type.
- Your card will only be charged upon winning a bid.
Have more questions? Visit our FAQ.
In-Person vs Online Auto Auctions
So, which is better, attending the auction event yourself, or bidding online? Each is a unique and fun experience.
While in-person auctions can be lots of fun featuring food, entertainment, the chance to look at other cars and meet new people, there are downsides, such as weather, being on your feet all day, large crowds, and intense competition.
Public Auto Auctions is online only, every week. Though lacking the in-person “experience”, online bidding can be done from anywhere with an internet connection, including the comfort of your own home.
We also have a very descriptive inventory page on our site, with 360 degree exterior and interior pictures, videos of the engine allowing you to see and hear the motor, and a full condition report.
After you’ve inspected your selected vehicles, you can sit back and focus on bidding to win without any distractions. Mark your calendar!!
Do I Need a License To Buy a Car at Auction in Texas?
Most auto auctions require, at a minimum, a valid driver license and some form of refundable deposit to bid.
Tips for Buying a Car at Auction
Don’t go into an auction with being prepared.
- Inspect your target car. As mentioned before, never assume a car is in great working order. Most cars on the lot are, but not every problem is noticed
- Be aggressive. Also, set a budget that you won’t go over. Remember, most auto auctions won’t allow bidders to back out of a purchase without losing their deposit.
- Avoid sticker shock. Almost every auction will charge a “buyer’s premium”. This is a fee collected by the auction facility. It may be a straight percentage of the winning bid amount or a sliding scale. Be aware of other fees charged such as tax, title, license or documentation fees.
Why Buy from Public Auto Auctions?
Rest assured, you’re making a great choice to bid at Public Auto Auctions.
We are committed, each and every time, to finding the right buyer for the right car, resulting in higher resale prices and customer satisfaction.
We opened in 2001 with the vision of helping small charities benefit from car, truck, boat and RV donations. Since then, our partnership with CARS, has processed over 75,500 donations and helped raise over $20,000,000 in profits for some great charities in Texas.