Worst Used Cars
The Worst Used Cars to Avoid in Texas
If you’re wondering, why is Public Auto Auctions, a used car auto auction in Texas, talking about the used cars you DON’T want to buy, then you underestimate our love for our customers.
Yes, we sell used cars. Yes, some of the cars on the list are on our lot. But, we care about what you spend your money on. Nobody wants a lemon! So before you buy, we want you to know what you’re buying.
Have some of these cars worked fine for other Texans? Yes. Look for the ***popular*** on our list. Could one at our auction meet your needs? Yeah. However, before you buy, consider. And don't forget to inspect!
A Comprehensive List of the Worst Used Cars
You could spend hours researching all the makes and models to avoid, or… you could bookmark this list. 😉
These used cars have not scored well in reliability over the years due to a wide variety of issues, such as transmission, brakes, leaks, shaking, and high repair costs.
Ford Used Cars to Avoid
- Ford Focus (2012-2018): Some models from this period have had transmission issues, including shuddering, slipping, or failure. ***Popular model in Michigan***
- Ford Explorer (2002-2005): Transmission failure, slippery gears, and hard shifting. ***Popular model in Michigan***
- Ford Fiesta (2011-2014)
- Ford EcoSport (2021)
- Ford Fiesta (2013-2014)
Nissan Used Cars to Avoid
- Nissan Pathfinder (2005-2010, 2013-2014): These models had problems with radiator leaks that could lead to transmission failure. brake problems and airbag failures. 😫
- Nissan Rogue Sport (2021)
- Nissan 370Z (2020)
Dodge Used Cars to Avoid
- Dodge Grand Caravan (2008-2016): This minivan has had transmission problems, particularly with the 3.6-liter V6 engine.
- Dodge Charger (2014-2015)
- Dodge Journey (2009-2012)
- Dodge Caliber
- Dodge Journey (2020): Brake issues.
- Dodge Challenger (2013-2014)
- Dodge Ram 1500 (2014-2016)
- Dodge Durango (1999-2000, 2011-2013): Stalling and oil build up. 🤢
Volkswagen Used Cars to Avoid
- Volkswagen Jetta (2006-2010): These models had problems with ignition coils, fuel system issues, and electrical system malfunctions.
- Volkswagen Touareg (2007-2012): The EPC warning light. 😩
- Volkswagen Beetle (2006-2010)
- Volkswagen Golf GTI (2010-2013)
- Volkswagen Tiguan (2009-2012)
Jeep Used Cars to Avoid
- Jeep Cherokee (2014-2015): Some owners have reported transmission issues, including erratic shifting or complete failure.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee (2011-2014): Electrical trouble.
- Jeep Compass (2007-2014) ***Popular model in Michigan***
BMW Used Cars to Avoid
- BMW 3 Series (2006-2011): These models may experience issues with the high-pressure fuel pump, water pump, and electronic system failures.
- BMW X5 (2012)
- BMW 5 Series (2006-2008, 2010-2012, 2015): Potential leaks and stalling problems.
Kia Used Cars to Avoid
- Kia Sorento (2012-2014): Engine cooling problems.
Chevrolet Used Cars to Avoid
- Chevrolet Aveo (2004-2011): Known for subpar build quality and mechanical issues, including engine problems, electrical glitches, and premature wear. 🍋
- Chevrolet Cruze (Pre-2013)
- Chevrolet Traverse (2009-2011)
- Chevrolet Equinox (2005): Head gasket problems.
Land Rover Used Cars to Avoid
- Land Rover Range Rover (2003-2005): These models have had reliability issues with their air suspension, electrical components, and transmission.
Chrysler Used Cars to Avoid
- Chrysler PT Cruiser (2001-2010): Known for various mechanical and electrical problems, including issues with the engine, transmission, and cooling system.
- Chrysler Town and Country (2005-2015): Transmission. Again.
- Chrysler Sebring
Mini Used Cars to Avoid
- Mini Cooper (2007-2011): Some owners have reported issues with the engine, transmission, cooling system, and electrical components. 🤒
- Mini Countryman (2011-2012)
Mitsubishi Used Cars to Avoid
- Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eclipse Cross (2019)
- Mitsubishi Mirage (2014-2017, 2021)
- Mitsubishi Outlander (2021)
Pontiac Used Cars to Avoid
- Pontiac Torrent (2006-2009)
Audi Used Cars to Avoid
- Audi A4 (2009-2011)
- Audi Q7 (2007)
GMC Used Cars to Avoid
- GMC Acadia (2007-2014): Faulty transmission. 🔧
Toyota Used Cars to Avoid
- Toyota Tacoma (2016): A usually reliable brand and truck, this one had clumsy handling, rough ride, and a low roof.
- Toyota RAV4 (2006-2008): Engine, exhaust, transmission, brakes and electrical problems. Also excessive oil consumption. ***Popular in Texas***
- Toyota Sequoia (2021)
Tesla Used Cars to Avoid
- Tesla Model S (2012, 2013, 2015)
- Tesla Model X (2016)
Fiat Used Cars to Avoid
- Fiat 500X (2021)
- Fiat 500L (2020)
- Fiat 500 (2012-2015)
Jaguar Used Cars to Avoid
- Jaguar X-Type
Cadillac Used Cars to Avoid
- Cadillac Escalade (2015-2016): Transmission, powertrain, body components, and paint/finish quality. 😭
- Cadillac STS
Infiniti Used Cars to Avoid
- Infiniti Q50 (2016): Fuel odor from vents, driver assist package/Intouch services not working, premature tire wear, pump seal failure and master cylinder, plus the hood dents easily.
Mercedes Used Cars to Avoid
- Mercedes GL (2013-2015): The seats smoke! 🔥
Saturn Used Cars to Avoid
- Saturn VUE (Pre-2007)
Volvo Used Cars to Avoid
- Volvo XC90 (2003-2014)
Buick Used Cars to Avoid
- Buick Cascada (2019)
- Buick Enclave (2008-2009): Transmission problems.
Print this list! Have this list handy as you start bidding. Rock on!